In the well-known children’s fable, ‘The Ugly Duckling’, when did the ugly duckling become a beautiful swan? The answer is that it always was a beautiful swan; it just didn’t recognise it, until it saw its own reflection.
As we look at ourselves, many of us at best see a marred reflection of who we are really meant to be.
I believe life’s great quest is to rediscover whose image we were created in. And then live in the dignity, freedom and potential that reclaiming this image makes available to us.
Here are some thoughts that I hope might help nurture that image.
- Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.
- Great love and great achievement involve great effort.
- Failure is not fatal. Learn from the lesson and move on.
- Be responsible for your own actions.
- Though you can’t go back to make a new past, you can start now to make a new future.
- First we make our habits, and then our habits make us.
- Regular recreation (re-creation) is essential for a healthy life.
- To keep perspective on life, spend regular time alone with God.
- The pain of discipline does not last as long as the pain of disappointment.
- “No, life’s not fair!” So whatever hell you are going through, hold onto God’s hand, and keep going!
- If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing poorly while we learn to do it better.
- We did not choose to become a victim, but it is our choice whether we stay one.
- Take care of your physical body; its continued existence gives you the right to live on this planet.
- Feelings are not facts. Feelings are to serve us not master us. Truth is our guide not emotion.
- One of life’s greatest sadness’s is not found in aiming too high and missing it, but in aiming too low and reaching it.
- Respect the earth as it’s a precious gift given to us to care for.
- ‘Secure’ self-worth is found in knowing the love, forgiveness and acceptance God offers through Jesus.
- Always seek to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
- We have all been given gifts/talents; fulfilment is found when we are able to express these in loving, creative ways.
- Don’t confuse forgiveness with trust. Forgiveness is given, but trust is earned.
- You don’t defeat darkness by wrestling with the darkness, you defeat it by bringing in the light.
- Be gentler on others than necessary because just about everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
- The main thing God gets out of your life is the person you become and the main thing you get out of your life is the person you become.